The classic tuna melt casserole is one of our favorite comfort food recipes, especially during winter. This warm, hearty dish has all the necessary components of a satisfying meal- cheese, pasta and protein! Our vegan spin on this classic dish is sure to please even the most discriminating palettes. It provides all of the warm gooey goodness without any harmful or high in fat ingredients.
Here’s how to make it for your family!
What you’ll need:
- 1 (16-ounce) package of your favorite macaroni (corkscrew works great in this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (Quinoa or chickpea flour also works great instead of all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups almond or rice milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 2 cups Daiya shredded style ‘cheese’ in cheddar, divided
- 3 ½ 5 oz. cans or 1 ½ 13 oz. cans Atlantic Natural Fishless Tuna, drained, flaked
- 2 tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
How to prepare:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook pasta 7 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well and return to pot; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk; increase heat to medium-high and cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat and add 1-1/2 cups cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add cheese sauce and tuna to pasta in pot; toss until evenly mixed. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Arrange tomato slices on top, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
**This recipe is an adaptation from Mr Food’s Tuna Melt Casserole
Atlantic Natural Foods’ canned vegetarian products make it easy to enjoy great tasting, nutritious, vegetarian or vegan meals.